That's right, I'm a real teacher now. I can't wait! I'll be teaching a 3/4 combo SEI class. To those who are not familiar with the lingo, that means I'll be teaching 3rd and 4th graders, together, all day long, 4 hours of which will be English Language Acquisition work - reading, writing, listening, and speaking, with a focus on the grammar and vocabulary of the English language. For another hour I'll do math, and for the last I think they'll be in a "special" like Art, Music, or P.E. I think I will also take them to the library once a week, and with the last period I might do a science experiment, fun Friday, or a class meeting. Not sure yet. I have been asked to teach some science to the kids, though I'll have to do it with an ELA focus nonetheless.
The idea is to get the kids (who are, according to the principal, social English speakers at this point) to where they speak and understand English well enough to join a standard class, by the end of the year. After my thesis, I really doubt that will happen (3-5 years is more common), but I'll give it a good try.
I'm excited about my new school, too - the principal showed me around, and there are two big rooms full of leveled little books and class sets of chapter books. Their library is beautiful and huge and in the middle of the school, and they're going to get me a whole set of math manipulatives just for my class. Some of the other teachers also donated some of their things to me, and I get to paint on my word wall space. My room is already full of round tables for the kids, and a few bookshelves - no cubbies that I noticed, but that's just fine with me. I'd rather the kids put their backpacks under their chairs and had a box with all their 'stuff' in it during the day. I may change my mind about that later on, but we'll see. I'm right across the hall from the 1/2 SEI teacher, and next door to a 3rd grade teacher who's also done SEI at some point. So there are lots of people-resources for me. No librarian, though.. they had to lay her off due to budget cuts :-(.
Also, this morning I got an email from the University Public Schools principal asking me to be a middle school teacher for him. I said he was at the top of my list, but I'd already signed a contract, and to look for me next year. Hope he doesn't take that as disloyalty that might have me running away from his school... but he really was at the top of my list! That's to worry about later, though. Right now I've got this SEI class to love. I'm also taking an SEI class this summer, which just so happens to be just right for this upcoming class I'll be teaching! Hooray!
Time to write my intro letter to the parents.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment