I took over the class, and became quite busy. I didn't travel for the last two weekends, either, due to 1) having just gotten back from Bocas 2) having to plan a LOT and 3) having no one to travel with (I do like company, even if I don't think it's required). Hence the lack of updates.
In class, I taught most of the chapter on multiplication, which they just tested out on, and just started division. The kids insist they know everything, but I'm still getting "I don't get it." In science, we just finished the teaching part of human body systems. Next week they're working on a review booklet that will also count as their test. Writing has been a personal narrative, and these kids still hate to revise. I wish we were doing a workshop, or at least had TWO periods of writing in a week, so everything wouldn't have to be done at home :-(. Wednesdays after lunch (when we have writing class) seems to be when all of Sairy's old students come in to visit, so we're constantly interrupted and I can't teach a lesson AND let them work all in one period - I have to bring their attention back to me too many times during the lesson part. Plus, I feel like I'm starting from zero with revision for these kids, so I've been working with them step by step. We didn't have any peer revision/peer editing this time around. Grammar continues to be boring, though I found some movies and websites we're going to use for review next week (they have a cumulative test - 20% of the grade - next week - in elementary school!). Spelling is, well, spelling. We've ALMOST finished watching all of the Million Dollar Project presentations (If I do that project in the future, they are going to be limited to five minutes, and then cut off. Period. Ugh.) in social studies, and we're doing current events. I think that's about it for subject matter.
I'm having issues with classroom management. I don't like using "systems," but that is what these kids are used to, it's the middle of the year and too late to change the classroom culture, and Sairy wants me to come up with my own system for Monday that isn't like one of hers (marbles, the stars). So I've come up with one based on the "mystery motivator" that I'm going to try out. Sairy's only giving it a week to work, which isn't really enough time, but we'll see how it goes. I've got to buy some candy, since that's one of the choices the kids have for their motivator.
We just had our "star party," so it's the right time for a change. Here's me in a silly hat:
In general life.. as I said, I didn't go anywhere for two weekends. The first was restful, though busy because I was planning a lot. The second was basically just boring. My planning didn't take very long, and the other student teachers were all gone, so I just kind of wandered around in the neighborhood and looked at the tourist shops, and then read "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" (which is a good, but very long book). Today I'm going to the mall and a movie with some friends, and then (I think) to Volcan Poas tomorrow. Next week (I think) I'm going to Volcan Arenal to play in the hot springs.We had a 12+ hour power outage a few days ago, and some young guy tried half-heartedly to be a purse-snatcher as I walked home from school yesterday. He walked up to pass me with a smile on his face, grabbed my cloth bag (which had my Keens in it - no money but I still would have been really upset had he succeeded) with one hand, and started running. Fortunately, I have a strong grip, and just pulled it right back out of his hand, so he ended up just running off without anything (hopefully feeling kind of foolish). He didn't try again, but I was a bit nervous the rest of the way home. I have a slightly sore throat this morning... guess I'd better go gargle Listerine :-P.
No comments:
Post a Comment