Monday, August 11, 2008

Finishing the Classroom, Missing the Bus

Well, the title pretty much summarizes today. We didn't have the kids yet (primary starts tomorrow), so Sairy, Maria Gloria, and I spent the day finishing up the classroom decorations. We weren't done when I left at 4:15, and I don't imagine Sairy will be done until around 6pm. We did get the boxes painted, the schedule made, the teams laminated and stuck to the board, the animals printed and cut out (the students will each be researching a different animal from the coral reef tomorrow), I got my lesson plan approved, we made desk tags and cubby tags, we got everything made and printed and cut out for the bulletin boards (Sairy still has to put some things up), and we sort of planned our day for tomorrow. I'm sure Sairy knows what we'll be doing, but I'm not entirely clear on it. I know we'll be doing the coral reef animals activity, making nametags, and (probably) doing a genre-identification and label-making activity for the classroom library. I think the students have Spanish in the morning, but I'm not sure if they're going. We'll definitely also take time to label all their notebooks. I won't be reading Rough-Face Girl until Wednesday, so as to keep the schedule somewhat reasonable, and who knows - maybe we'll have an assembly.

As far as missing the bus goes.. I got lucky, actually. I thought it came at 4:15 and left at 4:30 (I was 15 minutes late on both of those), so at 4:15 I went to the front desk and asked if the bus was coming in the front or the back today. It changes, which I find very annoying. They told me it came at 4:00 and had already left. I was considering returning to Sairy's room and asking her for a ride home, but then Ana Ligia offered me a ride, since she was headed in my direction anyway. I gladly took it, and got home earlier than the people who rode the bus! I did feel rather motion sick from riding in her car, though. Driving here is scary.

I have to remember to bring 7,000 Colones tomorrow for tickets to a soccer game on Wednesday, and to talk to the adult Spanish class teacher on Wednesday as well.

:-( My face always feels greasy here, because of the humidity. It's really irritating.
Maybe I'll wear makeup tomorrow so I look less terrible on the first day.

No comments: